Okay....it's looking really good. On Monday afternoon we'll know for sure, but right now it looks like we'll be headin' to the Arizona court house on Saturday March 14 and adopting the little, spunky, dark curly-haired girl that we have loved and prayed for for nearly 4 years now.
After Bryan's parental rights were severed in the Arizona Superior Court, he appealed with the Arizona Court of Appeals. That process took 6 months and the appeals judges agreed that his rights should be severed. He surprised me by taking his case to the Arizona Supreme Court on January 21. According to our adoption attorney, the shortest time that the AZ Supreme Court has ever denied taking on a case like this is 3 weeks. And most of them take 3 months. So, we were really dissappointed that our March 14 adoption date would be delayed again, but were blessed with a really cool event when the AZ Supreme Court denied his petition in just 12 days! We came home from Evi's dance class and heard a message from the CPS Caseworker telling us that the AZ Supreme Court had just denied hearing his case and that we could now adopt Evi! However, Bryan has one last chance to waste the Arizona taxpayer's money through another appeal. He can appeal with the US Supreme Court. This is not a case that the US Supreme Court would normally accept, so I really don't think it will happen. The AZ Supreme Court gave Bryan 15 days to file a "stay request" so he could take the case to the US Supreme Court. The deadline was today at 5:00! As of yesterday at closing time, he had not filed anything. So, on Monday I can call and see if he filed something today...his last day to do so. If he did, our adoption date will not happen. But if he didn't, then March 14 is a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will update on my blog on Monday afternoon as soon as I get the official news!
2 comments:
I am so excited! We will keep praying for you. Keep us updated.
I can't wait to see you! I love you guys so much! This has been a long, hard road, and you deserve to be happy!
Post a Comment