Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Announcing....

Evi's adoption! Yes, we have heard official news (verbally) that the appeals are now over. We have been given the green light to adopt Evi in just two weeks! Saturday March 14 in Arizona is adoption day!

Tom is still a little leery of believing that this will actually go through since there have been so many delays and shocks in the case in the past three and a half years since Evi came to our family. He's waiting for the official news in writing. But for me, I am already celebrating!

We will be having a huge adoption party/open house in Arizona the day of the adoption and will also have a party here in Texas on Saturday March 28th. The following day (Sunday) we will finally get to give Evi the baby blessing in church that we have been waiting to give her for almost 4 years. In June, before our family reunion in Oregon, we will all go to the Portland Oregon Temple, where Tom and I were married almost 13 years ago and Evi will be sealed to our family.

I think I may be in shock right now...a huge burden, at times overwhelming and crushing, is being lifted off my shoulders. I am filled with wonder...(Is this really happening? Is it finally over?) But more so, filled with gratitude. For 1,288 days we have been pushed and pulled and stretched by the depth of emotion and the uncertain; yet eternally significant future of this little girl who calls us Mommy and Daddy, and who we call our daughter.

18 months ago, 2 years into this trial, Tom and I sang in our stake choir in Arizona and sat on the stand when Dieter F. Uchtdorf came to speak to us. He paused during his talk and then said something like, "I feel inspired to give a special blessing to you here tonight. I bless you that the things that are concerning you and your family will come to a satisfactory conclusion." I am sure there are many people who, just like me, felt that those words were for them. Now, 18 months later, that promised and long-hoped-for blessing is coming. My soul is filled with a surreal mixture of excitement, gratitude, joy, wonder, exhaustion, peace and relief.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Congratulations Sis! This is a special time for us all, but I am sad I have to miss the blessing and the sealing (maybe I can find a way to the sealing).

Bridget said...

I am so happy for you and your family! Congratulations!

Colton, Whitney, Andee, and Paxton said...

Congratulations Katie!! That is exciting news, we are so happy for you and your family!

Mandie said...

Yay!!! She is such a lucky girl to have you all! Congratulations!

Tami said...

Katie...What a Beautiful ending to such a long, drawn out process. We have been reading your blog and keeping up on your progress and today is definitly a CELEBRATION!!! Best of Luck to you and your family in the next month. Just think...you are just moments away from being an Eternal family with Evi. We love you. Dan and Tami Christensen

The Shumards said...

That is so exciting! We will definitly be there at your party. I am so happy for your family.