Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just another bump in the road...

Tom and I had a bet going...I lost. I thought for sure that Bryan (Evi's birth dad) wouldn't appeal with the Arizona Supreme Court. After all, the Superior Court and the Court of Appeals had laid down the case loud and clear that Bryan was not at all a safe parent for a child. (In case anyone is interested, you can read the 23 page decision by the Court of Appeals...I will try to find the link online and post it in the next couple of days.) But, I suppose that Bryan has nothing to lose. He is in jail for the next 6 years and has nothing better to do than make life harder for us. So, he has appealed with the Arizona Supreme Court. Our attorney informed us last night that this appeal could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 5 months. Our adoption date is currently set for March 14...so, yet again, it will most likely have to be delayed.

Evi has no idea any of this is going on. She is secure and happy in her safe, peaceful and fun little world and that is how it should be. We love our four children so much and will always fight for them...no matter how long it takes.

4 comments:

Elicia said...

Oh man!! I was sooo hoping otherwise! I guess you (and Evi's birth dad) will know the true meaning of "endure to the end".
(I think he has a different perspective of that!) Hang in there! We're here for you, Katie.

Bridget said...

This would be comical if it weren't so heartbreaking! I wonder if he realizes how traumatized Evi would be if she were ripped from her happy family at 4 years of age...or 10?! And what does the lawyer taking the case have to gain out of any of it? Hang in there. I hope he gets laughed right out of court.

The Shumards said...

I am so sorry to hear this. We hope everything will be decided in a timely manner. Our prayers are with you all. I am so glad you have a blog.

Scott Wright said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news! You sure are having to endure trials aren't you? Thank goodness Heavenly Father loves Evi and wants the best for her. We all know what the best is. I'll keep your family in our prayers!