Tonight when Tom walked in from a long day of church meetings and asked me about my day, I felt the need to relate why there was crushed egg shells and brownies all over the kitchen floor. Here is what I told him...
This morning before church, as I was in my room frantically looking for my other church shoe, Isaac, my sweet and curious son, walked in wearing his usual outfit (a diaper) and proudly announced that he had made me eggs for "dinner". I said, "Oh, no" and swiftly walked into the kitchen in time to realize that the beeping noise was the fridge alarm telling me the fridge door had been left open for some time. I shut the door and looked down to see the carton of eggs open and broken, half in a bowl (pretty good for a little 3 year old) and the other half broken and dripping down the counter tops and across the floors. As I was surveying the kitchen for more broken eggs, I walked by what was left of the pan of brownies that Tom had made for our dessert...which was nothing but crumbs in the middle and hand prints around the edges where Isaac had reached into the pan with his little fists to grab a handful of gooey brownie and shove it in his mouth. And finally as Isaac was in time-out and I was doing Emma's hair I stepped into a quarter-inch of toilet water that somehow got out of the toilet and onto the bathroom floor while Isaac was in there supposedly going potty. This all occurred within a five-minute time period before we left for church.
So, Tom and I did tonight what other parents of 3 year old boys do...we googled "How to raise boys" and then thought about our friends and their little boys and realized something about Isaac...he is perfectly normal! As we digested that, we searched for our fridge door lock and put that on, shut all the bathroom doors (the outer handles are removed so little hands can't open the door from the outside) and promised to put all desserts on top of the fridge from now on. That should take care of today's issues. Let's see what he comes up with tomorrow!
5 comments:
All I can say is AMEN TO THAT!! When you figure it out, you let me know...I have had just a"few" of those moments myself!!
ha ha ha...I keep hearing about how great girls are...I'm just hoping and praying that the wonderful things I've heard are true. I don't know that I've ever had this type of a mess right before church...but I've definitely had my share of naughty boys!
Sis, that is nothing compared to what you were looking up when Emma was three. I believe the words "pathological" and "psychotic" were entered in one internet search alone. I was there. I remember....
Yes, Beck, you are right. I should have remembered that myself. I guess it's like labor pains...you know it hurt but you can't quite remember the exact pain. However, you happen to have a way with bringing memories back quite nicely. Ah, yes, it's all coming back to me now...how did I forget that?
Welcome to the happy ADVENTURES of Boyhood. I am sorry that one of your early adventures came on Sunday AM while you were preparing yourself for church.
YES, your son is very normal. I am still learning much from our son Spencer, who is now 11yrs. old. He is now experiencing the ADVENTURES of the large appetite. An appetite the size of a horse. I think there is a hole somewhere in his digestive system.
I just might mention that there is an adventuring season of climbing, in a young boys life. Anything on top of the regfrigerator will be found by the use of a chair, a suitcase and or thick telephone books, and countertops.
I encourage you to document Issac's ADVENTURES with a camera, computer, or paper and pencil. You will then have evidence to prove him guilty when his sisters are telling him about the experiences and laughing, when he does not believe them.
Post a Comment