



The following is a sad tale with a giant belly laugh and an as-yet uncertain ending. It is the giant belly laugh that I want to remember.
Background: Our family adopted two baby bunnies 6 months ago. Emma named her baby girl "Sparkle" and Ashlyn named her baby girl "Bella". These girls quickly have become members of our family. We all love them so much because they are the perfect pets for us.
Two days ago: I went out to their hutch to give them some exercise time and set the girls on the ground and noticed that Ashlyn's bunny, Bella, did not move...in fact, her back legs were dirty and just laying there sideways. When I looked closer I noticed a dark swollen spot on her back which looked like a puncture wound of some kind. I thought a cat or a bird had somehow poked her with a claw or beak. I researched and made phone calls and worried all day and kept cleaning out her wounds (I found another one on her leg) and putting antibiotic ointment on them. When Emma and Ashlyn came home the wailing and sobbing at our house reached fever pitch so we decided to take a trip to the "Exotic Veterinarian" (normal vets don't see bunnies) to see what was wrong.
The gross surprise: We were disgusted to find out that they were not puncture wounds...they were air holes for the parasite "bot fly larvae" to breathe and eventually emerge from. Yes, Bella had breathed in bot fly eggs that crawl through the inside of an animals body under the skin, make a breathing hole and grow there until they are ready to come out. Bella had 3 of these gross things in her. The Dr. removed them through surgery...and $190.00 later, we brought her home.
The sad and uncertain ending part: Bella seems to be paralyzed. She cannot use her back legs. She is eating but not drinking well. This will be the subject of our thoughts, time and money all the Thanksgiving break, I am sure.
The confused part: This morning (the first day home after the surgery) I put both bunnies on the ground, Bella kept dragging her lower body and trying to move. Suddenly Sparkle (Emma's girl bunny) comes up behind her and climbs on her back and starts licking her face like crazy and then shaking on top of her. Bella is trying to get away and then gives up and just lays on the ground for a few seconds and then tries to pull herself along by her front paws with Sparkle still giving her hugs and kisses on her back. I stood there staring and confused...
The giant belly laugh part: Isaac and Tom open the door and Isaac yells in surprised delight, "They're Mutton Bustin'! Look, they're Mutton Bustin'!" (To understand this you need to know that Isaac just competed in a Mutton Bustin competition at our local rodeo where the little kids hang on bareback to a sheep while the sheep runs all around the arena.) That was quite hilarious to Tom and I and we both had a good belly laugh until...
The shocking truth: I picked Sparkle off of Bella and saw a worm-like thing protruding from her underside. Only it wasn't a worm...it it was a penis. Yes, our girl Sparkle is actually a boy!
The Complications: We can't let Bella (the sick one) be around her sister at all anymore because her sister is actually a brother. So, now we have a sick, paralyzed and possibly pregnant girl bunny and a "wanting to mate" boy bunny.
Uncertainty and Decisions: Now comes the hard part...breaking the news to Emma and Ashlyn. They will be arriving home from school in the next couple of hours and I will have to share with them the shocking news about Sparkle being a boy, and the hard realization that the bunnies can't be together anymore (unless we fork out more money for additional surgery to "fix" them), and the sad news that Bella seems to be paralyzed.
I'll keep ya posted.
3 comments:
Oh, Katie! I am laughing and crying with you!! Life is always full of surprises! You are one GREAT Mom!!
I had a good laugh with Sam when I read this to him! I hope that little Bella gets better, though
Love it. Maybe you could teach Isaac about Bunny Bustin. Ha ha ha. Best wishes for Bella. I didn't realize bunnies were exotic.
Post a Comment