Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back in time to Old Nauvoo

For Spring Break we took a trip to Nauvoo, Illinois. The night before we left on our 12 hour drive to get there, Tom asked me how long I guessed it would be before someone asked, "Are we there yet?" I guessed 2 hours. The next morning, 10 minutes into our drive, Evi asked, "Are we there yet?" So, you can guess our drive was LOOOOONG! But, the trip was fantastic. Nauvoo is such a wonderful place to learn about life 170 years ago. We took a carriage ride, a wagon ride and saw a musical. We toured historic sites and walked in Emma Smith's home (one of the people I respect the most). Tom and I went to the Nauvoo Temple, and we took pictures in the same places that I took newborn baby Isaac exactly 4 years ago after he was born in Illinois. Emma and I loved the musical the most and Ems also loved rope-making, Ashlyn loved watching the blacksmith make a horseshoe (we got to keep it and it's now Ash's souvenir.) Evi and Isaac were fascinated by Carthage Jail. Tom loved the temple and touring the historic areas...standing in the places where people of great faith once stood. We were surprised to find out that we were standing in the top of the Red Brick Store where the Relief Society was first organized on March 17, exactly 168 years to the day we were there. It was a great family destination and we are grateful we were able to go.

Also, Thursday was Isaac's 4th birthday. He was so excited to open his presents. He loves his "Olympic Gloves" and was excited to wake up this morning, on the first day of Spring, and see 6 inches of snow on the ground...needless to say, he put his new gloves to good use. He got a kid pressure washer from Grandma Kathleen and a hoppity ball to burn off some of his energy in the house.

Ash is playing piano and soccer and loving it. Ems has started her first season of softball and is hating it (with a black and blue bruise on her side from getting hit with the ball to prove it.) Evi is loving her dance class and has her recital next month. And Isaac has started gymnastics and can't wait for his lesson each week. We're getting a little busy here...but we are having fun watching the kids grow and learn and experience new things. I love being a mom! (I should probably put a qualifier on that statement...because motherhood definitely has it's un-fun moments...but the good ones, through the grace and love of Jesus Christ, far outweigh the bad ones.)

2 comments:

Emma Westhora said...

You got that right!

Becky said...

Hi Guys, I'm glad you had a great trip. Wish we could have gone, but we'll see you in Carlsbad!